Engine Re-power




Here I have the old Perkins 4.107 prepared for lifting out. It had to be lifted vertically about 6 inches and then pulled aft until it was almost out and then straight up and out. Sounds simple doesn't it? The towing strap I got at Harbor Freight tools for $10. It took me about a day beforehand to disconnect everything from the engine and get ready.


Since we were doing the swap at the dock we used the boom as our crane. Hooked to the bottom of that tackle is a chain falls. Once we had everything ready the tackle was made fast and  we hauled away with the chain falls.
At this point we were getting lots of stares of disbelief from many of the other tenants. I guess they just couldn't believe that a person could remove an engine themselves. It was pretty funny seeing all the blank stares and gaping mouths.


Here it is after a few minutes of careful maneuvering. I am tossing away the tackle that we ran forward to pull the engine forward down in the cabin.


Here is a picture of the engine removal crew. Our friend Rich Sandvig (Couldn't have done this project without his help, thanks RICH!!), ran the chain falls, I maneuvered, and gave directions, Eileen worked the forward tackle.


Here is the engine lowered onto our borrowed wagon, thanks Errol! The wagon was awesome for moving both engines around on the docks. Some of our Cheoy Lee buddies showed up on the docks just about then and helped us haul this beast up into Rich's van. Thanks Wayne and Robin Stromberg!


Here's another picture of the removal crew. Look how happy we are to have that beast out of the boat. Eileen was extra excited right now because the galley sink would now drain, with the weight of the Perkins out of there.


This is some ancient wrench that Rich dug out of the engine pan. There was lots of neat stuff that had been trapped under there!


The new Yanmar 3JH4, 3 cyl. 40 hp. This shows the installation about 75% finished.


This is the mounting bracket that I had fabricated so that I could use the original rear beds. There really isn't room to do much else. As usual I have gone overboard on the design. 5/8" Steel rectangular bar stock. Welded together under my strict supervision.

The new Yanmar is a sweet running engine and weighs about 200 pounds less then the Perkins, which really helped our waterline. Send me and email if you have any questions.

It took me about 3 weeks to finish the install of the new engine. Mostly due to the lack of some part or another that I had forgotten about or didn't know that I needed. Of course, being on a mooring and without a vehicle didn't help matters. Several times I took the dinghy to get parts and this would basically kill half a day, when I could have been doing assembly.
 

Email Jamie
 



 

Main Page

Free counters provided by Andale.